2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning Resources
Resources Available for the NEW 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning
During the spring of 2017, the Virginia Department of Education held several Math SOL Institutes across the state to support the implementation of the new 2016 Math Standards of Learning. During these sessions, participants deepened their understanding of the 2016 Math SOL Standards by reviewing the SOL revision process, learning progressions of math standards, and high-leverage teaching practices.
The Virginia Department of Education has several resources available to support implementation of the new standards:
- 2017 Math SOL Institutes professional development modules
- Superintendent’s Memo regarding the timeline for implementation of the 2016 Math Standards
- 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning video playlist
- 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and Curriculum Frameworks (includes narrated 2009 to 2016 Crosswalks (summary of changes) for each grade level)
Enhanced Scope and Sequence
The SOL Enhanced Scope and Sequence (ESS) was created by a team of general and special educators and VDOE personnel. ESS provides teachers across the state with differentiated lessons that are aligned with the essential knowledge and skills found in the Curriculum Framework at VDOE. The ESS is organized by content areas (i.e. Mathematics, English, History and Social Science, Science), and can be accessed at the Virginia Department of Education Standards of Learning.
Virginia Department of Education Instructional Resources
- The Standards and SOL-based Instructional Resources
- Math ESS Lessons
- English ESS Lessons
- Science and Social Studies ESS Lessons
Suggestions for Communicating With and About People with Disabilities at the CDC.
Virginia Department of Education Mathematics Resources
- Tests and Sample Item Sets Released in Spring 2014 (Grade 3, Grade 4, and Grade 5)
- VDOE Mathematics Resources
- Algebra Readiness Inventory Curriculum Companion
- Web Tour of the ARI Curriculum Companion
- Mathematics Word Wall Cards
- VDOE Guidelines for Educating Students with Specific Learning Disabilities in Math
T-TAC Online Math Resources
Additional Mathematics Sites of Interest
Fluency Without Fear by Jo Boaler (activities to develop Number Sense and Number Facts)
Watch this NCETM video of a teacher using multiple representations for multiplication. (This teacher works in a school where 3 x 4 is interpreted as 3 + 3 + 3 + 3). It is a good example of how to support the conceptual understanding of multiplication facts and its importance as students develop fact fluency.
Quantiles Framework Resources
- Quantiles Teacher Assistant and Quantiles Math Skills Database Search
- Web Tour of the Quantiles Framework Tools
Newly Added Resources
At the National Center on Intensive Instruction website, you can find examples of instructional plans that intensify fraction instruction. You can download the plans and print-based representations (manipulatives) at the links below.