Are you seeking mathematics professional development that you can do from home at your own pace? Well, here are a few opportunities that you might want to check out!
Intensive Intervention in Mathematics
The National Center on Intensive Intervention has created course content focused on developing educators’ skills in providing intensive mathematics instruction. The 8 course modules and course content can be found on the Intensive Intervention in Mathematics course page.
IRIS Center Math Modules
The IRIS Center is offering certificates for each course completed at no cost to participants. Visit PD Certificates for Educators for more information about obtaining certificates for completed modules. The following math modules are available:
- High-Quality Mathematics Instruction: What Teachers Should Know (1 PD hour): This module describes the components of high-quality mathematics instruction and highlights several effective practices teachers can use to teach mathematics.
- MTSS/RTI: Mathematics (2.5 PD hours): This module describes the MTSS, or RTI, framework as applied to mathematics. It includes discussions of how MTSS and RTI are related, as well as a description of instruction, assessment, and data-based decision making at each level of intensity: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3.
- Progress Monitoring: Mathematics (2 PD hours): This module introduces users to progress monitoring in mathematics, a type of formative assessment in which student learning is evaluated to provide useful feedback about performance to both learners and teachers.
Book Study Sets Available in the T-TAC ODU Library
Would you and a few of your colleagues like to set up a summer learning book club? There are several book study sets available for checkout in the T-TAC ODU library. Each book set also comes with a set of consumable study guides for your group. These book sets can be checked out from the T-TAC ODU library free of cost; all you need is a library account. Don’t have a T-TAC ODU library account? Simply fill out the Library Account Request Form to create one.
The following book sets are available in the T-TAC ODU library for check out:
- Guided Math: A Framework for Mathematics Instruction (Second Edition): Book Study Bundle- 8 Books & Study Guides: Educators will learn how to effectively utilize small-group and whole-group instruction, manipulatives, math warm-ups, and Math Workshop to engage K-12 students in connecting mathematics to their own lives. This 2nd edition guided math resource provides practical guidance and sample lessons for grade level bands K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12.
- Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students Book Study Bundle (10 Books and Guides): In this book, Zaretta Hammond draws on cutting-edge neuroscience research to offer an innovative approach for designing and implementing brain-compatible culturally responsive instruction. The book includes information on how one’s culture programs the brain to process data and affects learning relationships; ten “key moves” to build students’ learner operating systems and prepare them to become independent learners; and prompts for action and valuable self-reflection.
- Number Sense Routines K-3 Book Study Set–10 Books and Study Guides: Geared toward the primary grades, this book focuses on the meaning of number sense, as well as visual, counting, quantity, and data routines that can be implemented in 5-10 minutes daily to build numerical literacy.
- Number Sense Routines 3-5 Book Study Set–10 Books and Study Guides: Geared toward the upper elementary grades, this book focuses on the meaning of number sense, as well as visual, counting, quantity, and data routines that can be implemented in 5-10 minutes daily to build numerical literacy.
Mathematical Mindsets Courses
Created by Jo Boaler, author of Mathematical Mindsets and many other mathematics texts and articles, these courses are based on the ideas presented on Jo Boaler’s YouCubed website and her books.
- 21st-Century Teaching and Learning: Data Science (20 PD hours, Cost: $40): This course is designed to help anyone teach and learn with a 21st-century approach to knowledge and teaching. Important evidence we now have about the working of the brain is shared and then the course moves to thinking together about the data-filled world in which we live, to prepare students for their future in a world of data.
- Mathematical Mindsets (30 PD hours, Cost: $99): This course helps educators inspire and boost math achievement. You’ll learn the latest neuroscientific research on the best methods by which students learn math, as well as the specific methods and approaches you can use to successfully help your students develop a growth mindset.
- How To Learn Mathematics for Teachers (30 PD hours, Cost: $99): This course explores the new research ideas on mathematics learning and student mindsets that can transform students’ experiences with math. The sessions are all interactive and include various thinking tasks to promote active engagement – such as reflecting on videos, designing lessons, and discussing ideas with peers.