Hybrid Tools for Learning
It’s not often that one tool can be used for most academic subjects and also work in both the virtual and face to face classroom. But these two tools can do just that. Online collaboration tools Online collaboration tools are often used in the business industry to help teams share information on projects. Educators can… Read More Hybrid Tools for Learning
Looking for a Blended Learning Model Using Virtual Learning Activities?
Are you looking for a teaching approach that can increase learning opportunities at home? One that is easy for students and their families to access, provides instruction using virtual learning activities while it increases opportunities for engagement in the classroom. How about an approach that may work well with a reduced student capacity scenario? As… Read More Looking for a Blended Learning Model Using Virtual Learning Activities?
Sending Schoolwork Remotely
Now more than ever it is the teacher’s responsibility to get schoolwork to students remotely. How are teachers making this happen? Are assignments being emailed to students and/or parents? Are teachers using a Learning Management System (LMS) or a Google Classroom site to share work? If getting schoolwork to students remotely is a problem, consider… Read More Sending Schoolwork Remotely
Free digital resources for students in Virginia
A great free digital resource for students is Find It Virginia. Managed by the Library of Virginia it includes many databases that students can use for literacy, learning, and research. Free to residents of Virginia are e-books and digital resources including newspapers, magazines, and encyclopedias for elementary, middle, and high school students. It is a great… Read More Free digital resources for students in Virginia
VDOE’s SEIS Resource Repository
VDOE’s Department of Special Education and Student Services, Office of Instructional Services (SEIS) created a new document, the SEIS Resource Repository, for educators and instructional leaders in the field. These resources are focused on serving students with disabilities, across a variety of topics and content areas and are reflective of the current challenges of serving… Read More VDOE’s SEIS Resource Repository
What is AT?
What is Assistive Technology?
Assistive technology (AT) includes adaptive and rehabilitative devices for people with disabilities. AT can help students participate in educational activities that they might not be able to otherwise, due to physical limitations or learning differences.
The Assistive Technology Tools for Schools Booklet is a guide designed to support professionals and families in understanding assistive technology (AT) and identifying possible AT tools for students from preschool through high school. Obtain your free copy here.
The Assistive Technology Network of Virginia supports school divisions in their efforts to increase access to the general education curriculum for students with disabilities through the use of assistive technology. The Network supports the accommodations and modifications that are necessary for students with disabilities to master curricular objectives and to participate in statewide assessments.
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Organizations
These organizations offer conferences and webinars. Look for offerings of free webinars!
- The VA Department of Education sends out updates regarding resources and upcoming opportunities. Sign up to receive yours here.
- The Assistive Technology Network of Virginia has just added AT and Distance Learning Resources including Quick Tips for Families and Teachers using AT during home instruction.
- The Newport News Assistive Technology Resource Center has compiled a list of free resources that support Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- ATIA is providing free webinars to discuss implications of COVID-19 on the assistive technology community and learning.
- Closing the Gap is providing free resources including ones on supports for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder and another on embedding core vocabulary throughout the day.
- Precautions regarding COVID-19 for Wheelchair and AT Users
- Resources for Access and Distance Education from the National Center on Accessible Educational Materials
- Supporting communication during this time:
- Free communication boards each sample board includes ideas for the communication partner
- PrAACtical Resources: Dealing with the Covid-19 Pandemic an evolving list of visual schedules
- Tobii Dynavox Coronavirus Communication Support materials